These questions come up periodically, especially on XStreet forums and the SL forums. So I thought I might address them here. Should you announce your new items every time you make something or should you hold back on them and wait to announce a few at a time? Which groups should I send the notice to? How often should I release stuff? What's a good way to get the word out?
So.... Here's what you should do:
Release an item once a week or at least every other week. If you are prolific and create bunches of stuff then keep your notices and stuff to 1-2x a week. Here's a list of what you should do once you are ready to announce it to the world.
- Announce it in your blog. Get your blog on the Fashion Planet Feed. I don't know how many readers it has, but it's immense and just joining it lets you get a wider audience.
- Announce it in your group - create a notecard with a colorful description of the item(s) listing the items or parts that come with the item, how much it is, what colors are available, whether it's copy/mod or mod/transfer. Include pictures of the item in with the notecard so people can see how beautiful it really is. Include your Land Mark, a SLURL to your store, the URL to your blog and the URL to your XStreet listings for that item.
- Announce it to Fashion Consolidated, Fashion Life, Fashion-R-US and the plethora of other groups out there for this. For those of you who do not do fashion related items - there are groups that you can announce to, just look around and ask around to find them out.
- Announce it in SLUniverse: In the forum, in the SLShopper and in the blog there (you can use that as your blog or RSS feed your blog into that one)
- Put all of the items here on XStreet, announce it in the XStreet forums. Make sure to cross-link your items as well as provide a link to your blog and such (use the BBCode to do this). For an example - here's one of mine: Blue Rose Corset & Panties (BTW, you can use BBCode on SLUniverse too!)
- Announce it in the SL forums under shopping/new products
- Prepare a folder with your items and a notecard with the description and send it to various bloggers. Make sure that you provide images and the URL, Slurl etc in the notecard.
I think that's about it. I'll post another article on which groups are good for what and the "Do's and Dont's" of each group. I'll also cover more about cross-linking and why you should do it etc.
If any of you designers/merchants want more information - feel free to contact me in-world (send a notecard please and make sure to include your name) and I will try and help you out.